I'm really glad this place opened inside the Duboce Triangle Out of the Closet. All the people who work here a really friendly, and they seem truly committed to what they do. While waiting for my prescriptions to be filled, I've watched the staff really helpfully answer questions, and it seems like they know their customers well.
A pharmacy in a thrift store? Yup, you bet. Like Out of the Closet itself, AHF Pharmacy is a nonprofit whose earnings get put back into the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. I really like this funding model for a few reasons. First, it gives me yet another opportunity to get something I already need without padding anyone's pockets, and second, it's really nice for a nonprofit to actually be able to at least partially fund itself rather than relying solely on grants, which often come with strings attached.
AHF Pharmacy is a full-service pharmacy, so you can get any prescription filled here.
If the ridiculousness of the for-profit healthcare model is beginning to disturb you, why not get your prescriptions filled at AHF Pharmacy?
"But, John S.," you say, "you're being inconsistent. Don't you say in a review of a non-chain pharmacy that people should support the little guy instead of Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS? And isn't the little guy the neighborhood independent pharmacy? And isn't the neighborhood independent pharmacy a for-profit enterprise?" Wow, I'm really impressed by your proper use of commas and question marks, and your reasoning also seems impeccable. To answer your questions, I did say all that, and I still think you should give AHF your business.
Look, I love old-school pharmacies. I wish there were more of them. I wish they could supplant the Walgreenses of the world. But the only independent pharmacy I know of in San Francisco that still serves individuals--there used to be another one close to my house but they now only serve St. Mary's patients--is in the 450 Sutter building. My dermatologist is also in that building, so when I get a prescription when I'm there, I'll gladly patronize that mom and pop. But I'm not about to trek to Union Square every time I need a prescription filled; I will, however, go the extra mile--er, 0.82 miles--to support AHF Pharmacy.
100 Church St
(between Duboce Ave & Reservoir St)
San Francisco, CA 94114
Neighborhoods: Hayes Valley, Castro
(415) 552-0350
No comments:
Post a Comment