To describe this event as a charity cycling event from San Francisco to Los Angeles is a shameful understatement. On the surface, yes, most of its participants embark on a mission, pedaling a bike nearly 600 miles down the big-arse state of California over 7 days, sleeping in tents each night, and raising a minimum of $2500 for AIDS/HIV beneficiaries that make a huge difference to the greater community. That in itself is admirable in heroic proportions, especially considering how many people sign up scared shitless about doing something like this when they've never ridden a bike for over 15 miles before.
I've participated in AIDS/Lifecycle and its predecessor event in California 4 times -- each time as a cyclist. The days I've spent on those journeys are some of the best I've ever lived... frankly put. They've given me humbling perspective on what I might normally define as a life challenge, and they've rewarded me with intimate revelations about how GREAT people really are in a world we may often start to get fed up with.
995 Market St
(at Mason St)
San Francisco, CA 94103
Neighborhoods: Civic Center/Tenderloin, SOMA
(415) 581-7077
No comments:
Post a Comment